Government launches new cyber security measures to tackle ever growing threats
New and enhanced cyber security measures will better protect the UK government’s IT systems, which run key services for the public, from growing cyber threats.From: Cabinet Office and The Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE MP Published: 20 April 2023
- All government departments and a select number of arm’s length bodies to have their cyber security reviewed under new, more stringent measures.
- The new cyber security regime, known as GovAssure, will be run by the Government Security Group, part of the Cabinet Office.
- GovAssure delivers on a key part of the Government Cyber Security Strategy by improving cyber resilience and help government organisations protect themselves from growing hostile cyber threats.
- Using NCSC’s Cyber Assessment Framework (CAF) to review the assurance measures all government departments have. The framework includes measures such as setting out indicators of good practice for managing security risk and protecting against a cyber attack and was designed for making critical national services resilient to attack.
- Departments will also be assessed by third parties to increase standardisation and validate results.
- Centralised cyber security policy and guidance to help government organisations identify best practice.